3D2N Turtle Island/Sepilok/Sukau/Gomantong/Sandakan City Tour
Selingan, the largest of the island, houses the park's headquarters, a turtle hatchery, tourist accommodation and basic facilities. The other two island are more for conservation activities.
As turtle landings usually occur after dusk, an overnight stay would be the best plan to see the turtles as they come ashore to lay their eggs, but shining a light on them or using camera flashes should be avoided as either can be stressful on the creatures.
Turtles lay their eggs throughout the year, but the best time to head to there is between July and October when the sea is calmer. Observe the collection of eggs, tagging of mother turtles and releasing of baby turtles into the sea.
Early morning transfer to airport to board a plane for Sandakan (via MH2042 ETD0700hrs). Meet and greet at the airport and transfer to jetty.
At 9:30 AM Boat departs to Turtle Island. It takes about an hour to reach Selingan Island which lies 40km north of Sandakan in the Sulu Sea off Sabah's east coast. Selingan Island is the main nesting area for the green turtles. A day of relaxation for you to swim or snorkel at the island. After dinner, prepare to wait for the Park Ranger to inform us of the sighting of a turtle laying eggs. Learn about the conservation of these turtles; witness the collecting of eggs from the nesting site, planting them in the hatchery and see baby turtles scrambling to the open sea upon released on the shore. Overnight stay at the island chalet, room with attached bathroom.
6:30 AM check out, have breakfast and embark for another boat ride back to the mainland Sandakan. Proceed to drive for about half an hour to Sepilok Orang-Utan Rehabilitation Centre where orphaned and injured Orang-Utan brought to Sepilok to be rehabilitated to return and fend for themselves back to the wild. Sepilok is a primary lowland forest; a fine showcase of Borneo’s remaining rainforest. Witness the feeding of Orang-Utan from a platform in the forest and later watch the 25 minutes scheduled video documentary show. Drive for about 2.5hrs drive through rustic countryside studded with villages. Take a short boat transfer to Borneo Nature Lodge. Time for orientation, have lunch and check in. Relax by the river before embarking by boat up-river at 4:00 PM along Sabah's longest river, Kinabatangan with opportunity to view wildlife and birds in its virgin rainforest habitat. Search for some of the primates species including the endemic Proboscis Monkeys as they settle down on treetops. Kinabatangan Wildlife Sanctuary is on the best places in Southeast Asia to observe wildlife.
Depart early morning and visit the Gomantong Cave, famed for its edible birds' nests. Take about 15 minutes’ boardwalk to the opening of SimudHitam cavern and explore the cave system on boardwalk. Return to Sandakan, stop for lunch at local restaurant.
At 2:00 PM after lunch, proceed for a city tour and explore the various landmarks of Sandakan which may include Central Market, the most amazing variety of fresh seafood and agricultural products, Sim-Sim Water Village where houses are all built close to the water surface while observing the fascinating view of the sea, visit PuhJihSyh Buddhist Temple which offers a panoramic view of Sandakan Bay situated on the hilltop of Tanah Merah. After tour, transfer to airport for your evening flight (MH3094 ETD1810hrs) back to Kota Kinabalu.
Price from RM1,488.00 per person (Minimum 2 persons).
* Offer valid till 31 March 2018.
- English speaking guide, land/boat transfers based on joining basis, entrance fees, accommodation and meals as stated
- Camera/video camera fees, airfares/taxes/insurance and beverages (alcoholic/carbonate/juice)
- Insect repellent
- Raincoat (umbrella not recommended)
- Sun screen (sweat proof)
- Walking shoes
- Comfortable cotton T-shirt with long or short pants
- Only cameras of unaided flash are allowed to photograph the turtles. This is because shining a light on them or using camera flashes can be stressful on the creatures.
- Video/Digital Video Cameras are not allowed.
- Visitors are forbidden from going around the island on their own from 6:00pm – 6:00am
- Optional tours e.g. Night Cruise, Night Walk & Tree Planting can be arranged at the lodge with minimal rates depends on the weather condition (Optional night activity starts at 8:00 PM)
- Agnes Keith’s House entrance fee not included & Sandakan War Memorial is upon request
- Recommended flights (details & timings) subject to change by airlines
No review has been found for this tour package. Submit your review now with the form provided.